Friday, October 29, 2010

The Sky and Earth

If I could unite,

Could I unite the two opposing omniscient forces?

The sky that serenely looks down at me,

Coolly looking down at me as I look up,

And laughs at what I could do,

Even though it has done nothing but be the prideful sky,

But it still takes the time to look at what it cannot do,

A tranquilly pond of ignorance?

The earth that understands pain and indifference,

Always hard, always tough, never wanting to show pain again,

Always reserved, never sure of what to show,

And shows feelings by showing us itself,

Even though it works hard, it cannot rise up

As the sky shows a confidence and pride that overshadows the earth,

A modest stone of humility?

|If I were the earth, could I accept,

|The sky’s prideful, limitless confidence?

|If I were the sky, could I understand,

|The earth’s suffering and effort?

And…

If I were a human being, could I,

Connect the two beings’ strength and faults,

Grow strength and understanding from ignorance and fear?

Could I do the same,

As the rain that takes the best out the two, understands them

And connects

The otherwise eternally separated earth and sky?

~ The Grateful Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment